Thursday, October 2, 2008

Just Let it Fly...

So next week is the planned Saturday shoot with the Bolex's. I was actually very excited about this project and was looking forward to it. However, an opportunity has come up that I feel like I can't turn down which will keep me away from class next week as well as the saturday shoot. When I do return, I will have to check out a Bolex on my own and come up with my own one shot. I think this will be both challenging and fun at the same time.

After watching the one shots that were on the older blogs, I was quite impressed. The groups did a very good job at using the look of the film shot with the Bolex's in conjunction with what they actually shot. It made them seem, dare I say, vintage. We all know how much Vintage is in these days. Really, all of the films had a very authentic feel to them and it was evident that quite a bit of thought went into the camera movement as well as the actors movements.

On that note, I've always found it interesting that in the world of art, and film in particular limitations often lead to more freedom, if that makes sense. I always feel like the more limited I am with my equipment, time, etc the more free I feel to let everything else fall away and let my creativity run wild to make up for the limitations on the technical side. Whenever I am forced to work within boundaries, instead of getting frustrated, I try to take that opportunity to dig deeper into my creative concioussness and open it up all the way. Just let it fly....

I think for this project, since I will be working on my own, learning the camera and getting a one-minute shot, I will try to take a more impressionistic approach to what I shoot. I do not know specifics, but I am leaning towards a shot that does not necessarily involve people. By excluding the possibility of people in my shot, I will be forced to choose interesting objects or scenes that will keep people’s attention as much as watching people would. There are many ideas that could arise from this personal limitation, and although I do not have something specific in mind yet, I’m excited at what my mind may conjur up if I give it a chance.

Planning out what I shoot and how I’ll shoot it will be very key in making a one shot without a person interesting. As I walk around in the coming days, I will think about things that I see that intrigue me and put my mind into that grey area where reality and perception cross over each other, not quite touching but also not wholly separate. It’s those areas where life reveals itself to me. The moments when even I am not totally aware of what is being processed in my brain because my thought processes are based on things that come from experience and memory.

As I am writing this, I feel like there may be opportunities to explore with my love of music. Music often provides me with a soundtrack in which my thoughts can connect to and feel validated. I will continue to think about this more and see where my thoughts lead me but I’m confident that I can come up with something that is interesting on it’s own and not have to rely on highly technical equipment or camera work.

1 comment:

Six X. One said...

Yes, I think you are definitely right here about limitation often teasing out a greater amount of creativity. I suppose, for one, it forces us to hone our focus, but also, as filmmakers, we're not as concerned with big budgets and grand spectacles and how to manage it all.