Thursday, October 23, 2008

My Own Molotov Man

While I read 'On the rights of the Molotov Man', I continually thought about the various issues that have arisen in my experiences as a photographer. I understand both people's positions and feel that in many ways, they are both correct in their beliefs about the rights of artistic expression. As a photographer myself, I know how it feels to wonder if someone else is going to use one of my images without my permission. There are many, many different forums where you can discuss with other photographers or artists about the legality of certain aspects of using images without artists permission. I often struggle with posting my photos on the internet without any restrictions, and so I usually post only small file sizes or I put right-click restrictions on them, which is only a minor deterrent.
There was one thing that the photographer of the Molotov man said that resonated with me. She mentioned that she was a photographer in part because she wanted to contextualize things, make them a visible representation of a struggle or issue that was plaguing a certain people. She expressed discontent that the artist had taken her image and copied it, and copied it in a way that de-contextualized it. This is for certain one thing that I put a high value on when dealing with my own photographs. I may be okay with someone copying my image or images and using them for something personally, as long as the context of the photograph remains. If a photo that I took was ever used in a manner that severely disagreed with my original intent for that photograph, I would be upset. However, if I felt that the person had in fact used to my photo to further a cause I believed in, even if my photo was out of context, I may be more hesitant to seek legal action. In the case of the Molotov Man, as the photographer said, she was upset that her photo, which she took to represent struggle and the lengths people will go to free themselves, was painted and used in a collection that was depicting riots, which is something entirely different than a person struggling for their freedom. I’m okay with someone printing my photo out to put on their wall at home. I would not be okay with someone printing out many copies and using them as a background for an oil company commercial.
All that being said, as a filmmaker and a conscientious objector to mass media and the overwhelming nature of our capitalist society, I feel that there must be rules that govern or allow the use of other people’s media when it used in a satirical manner. I have mentioned this idea before, but I truly believe that it is up to the artists and dreamers of the world to keep us constantly looking at ourselves in the mirror and adjusting our attitudes and actions accordingly. When given the opportunity, we as a society can stray very far of course. That course being the one that propels us forward, as a society, towards a universally open and accepting environment; an environment where people’s ideas are heard without resignation or condemnation, an environment where evil actions are brought to light for everyone to see and not swept under the rug or given a free pass because they are of high importance.
Our current administration is a perfect example. If there were laws against using popular media for satirical or documentary purposes, how many people would know about all the misgivings of our president and those around him? We must, MUST, retain the ability to use other people’s property to turn that moral mirror on ourselves and investigate what we are, in fact, doing to the world around us-including ourselves.

No comments: