Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Freestylin'

Looking back on the semester, I have to wonder where the time has gone. It seems like we were watching The Scratch Junkies just yesterday. I’ve been very happy with 6x1 as a class which has helped open my eyes to other outlets of cinema and filmmaking that I would not otherwise have known about. It is has been a very enjoyable experience thus far to just let my imagination run wild and embrace the unknown that is experimental film. I’ve always had an interest in experimental films but never took the time to explore the methodology behind them. This class has been one that I look forward to each week because of the artistic, hands-on approach that we take to each project or workshop. I’ve said it before, but it is nice to have a time when I can go back to my 3rd grade roots and play with paint, glue, beads, and dirt all in the name of experimental filmmaking.

Even though this class has been very interesting and engaging thus far, I do feel some sort of regret that I have not been able to devote more time and energy to the class and the projects. When the semester first began, I had not yet moved into my apartment after getting back from Wyoming this summer. I ended up living on a friends couch for about a month and a half. This, along with the fact I was mostly living out of my car, severely limited my time, energy, and resources. I didn’t really have a space to work on my projects at home, and getting to any resources or belongings that I wanted out of my storage unit proved quite difficult as well. All things considered, it frustrated me that I wasn’t able to do everything to the extent that I wanted to. If I had more space to work in, or if I had more of my belongings at my disposal, I could have produced some better films throughout the semester.

I don’t mean to make excuses for anything, and do feel that I was able to make the best of what I had and ended up actually producing some decent projects. In the future, if I set out to make an experimental film I will make sure that I have plenty of resources at my disposal along with a proper workspace in which to manipulate film without fear of losing something or messing it up. I do hope to continue making experimental films of any kind, whether it be film manipulation, found footage, or some other technique.

As the semester comes to a close, I am excited about the projects that we have remaining, as I have moved into my apartment and do have more time and energy to devote to the projects. I am really looking forward to the video race, and hope to be able to come up with a finished product that I can really be proud of, something that will showcase exactly what I’ve learned this semester in 6x1. We all take away different things from each experience, and I am sure what some people may have taken away from 6x1 is completely different than what I have taken away. What will stick with me is the move towards less control and more spontaneity when I set out to make an experimental film. I’ll also take away the feeling of responsibility to keep the rough theatre alive, to keep the artists and the dreamers doing their thing, and to keep using my talents and abilities to keep those in charge on their toes. Mainly, I’ll take away that if we don’t keep experimental film alive and keep it moving forward, it will never gain the respect it deserves.

No comments: